Quantum Chip Upgrade™
- How to determine your locomotive's software version (DC)
- How to determine your locomotive's software version (DCC)
The list price is $39.95 which includes the Upgrade Chip and detailed color loco-specific installation instructions. It does not include installation labor. If you prefer not to do the installation then contact your dealer for a quote.
The QSI Chip Upgrades will be released over the next several months. The BLI E7 and Hudson are the first.
Your QSI equipped Broadway Ltd loco,
Your QSI equipped Atlas Gold loco,
Your QSI equipped Proto 2000 loco.
This impressive performance upgrade you have heard about adds many new features to your QSI equipped (DC) analog and DCC locomotives. Available in April 2006.
We are offering the performance upgrade at an introductory price of just $34.95! Listen to all the sounds.
"I have received the upgrade chips for three BLI locos and installed them. In the two 2-8-2 lights, they work flawlessly. BTW, the slow speed operation makes the chip worth the price for that alone."
All QSI equipped locos have a similar circuit module with the easy to remove ROM chip mounted in the socket as shown.
Here is the impressive chip upgrade performance package:
Several important improvements have been made to the Quantum system since its introduction in the Broadway Limited Hudson in 2002. When you upgrade with a new Quantum memory chip, you will receive all of these new improvements including some features not currently available in production locomotives.
Just a short appreciative note re your upgrade chip. I have installed 4 of them, 3 in light and heavy BLI Mikados, and 1 in a BLI NW2. In every case I have followed your recommendations in setting up the CVs for low speed use of the BEMF facility, and have to say I am very pleased. 1 smph is a handy speed to run at in yard and switching operations! We all know why the features were not available on these locos at birth, by virtue of the MTH (thats Muddying The Hobby!) legal challenge, but the upgrade sorts all that. I also find the alternative chuffs to be good news.
Keep up the good work!
Le Mans, France
Features and Changes Included in the Quantum Upgrade Chip
Features Common to Analog and DCC
- Downloadable sounds and software enabled to allow future sounds and code
improvements to be installed in locomotive without removing the memory chip. (Requires additional download module to be connected between your PC and program track; to be announced).
- Back EMF Load Compensated Speed Control. This feature had not been previously available in
Analog or DCC.
- Improved sound profiling allows individual sounds to remain audible even at low system volume settings.
- Added Individual sound volume settings including 1) Horn, 2) Bell, 3) Motor, 4) Fan, 5) Turbo, 6) Air Brakes, 7) Air Pumps, 8) Air Let-off, 9) Short Air Let-off, 10) Squealing Brake/Flange, 11) Dynamic Brakes, and 12) Coupler Sounds.
- Sound of Power™ added to simulate increased power demands under acceleration and decreased power under deceleration.
- Synchronized steam dynamo sound with headlight turn on operation.
- Progressive shutdown capability including states of Disconnect, Standby and Total Shut Down. Available for DCC and DC (with QARC Technology and Quantum Engineer)
- Extended Shut Down Scenario. Available in DC with QARC Technology and Quantum Engineer.
- Start Up
- Extended Start Up Scenario. Available in DC with QARC Technology and Quantum Engineer.
- Functional Air Brakes to slow train with added brake squeal and air-line let off sounds. Available in DCC and DC with QARC Technology.
- Verbal Status Report of locomotive state. Available in DCC and DC with QARC Technology.
- Play Horn or Whistle with alternate endings. Available only with sound sets that have sound records of different horn and whistle endings.
I recently ordered an upgrade chip from Caboose Hobbies in Denver for my BLI on30 C-16 steam locomotive. I installed the new chip last night carefully following your instructions and the results are stunning. The upgrade chip was everything you said it would be. I appreciate the upgrade. Thanks, Harvey H.
Features in Analog
- Regulated Throttle Control with real inertia effects. There have been many improvements in
Regulated Throttle Control since its introduction.
- Separate sound records for Horn hoots and Whistle hoots.
- Load settings allowing up to 15 levels of inertial.
- Special Heavy Load option allows near constant momentum of trains up and down grades.
In Heavy Load, the throttle will increase or decrease motor revs and Sound-of-Power™ without noticeably changing the locomotives momentum which allows operator to individually control locomotive motor RPM and sound settings during operation. QARC only.
- Selection of helper type locomotives including Normal, Lead, Mid, End and Pusher type helpers.
- Direction setting for improved lighting control of locomotives in consists.
- New accurate way to set V-Start.
- Improvement in changing direction in Neutral to provide three hoots when moving in reverse
and two hoots when moving to forward.
- QARC™ Technology added. Quantum locomotives not equipped with new QSI QARC™ (Quantum
Analog Remote Control) Technology can now be upgraded.
QARC uses special remote control signals to operate different Quantum features without the need for complicated and expensive digital systems like DCC. Add the simple QARC controller, called Quantum Engineer, to your existing Analog power pack. With Quantum Engineer, you can operate features that are otherwise available only in DCC – plus features that are not yet available in DCC.
Two days ago I received my first couple of QSI Upgrade Chips and I just installed them in my 2 Wabash E7s. I expected an improvement but I was very surprised and am very excited about the upgraded sound and running functions; this is even better than I expected and very easy to change and re-install the chips. My dad was a bit skeptical but he was also very impressed with the upgrade. Congrats on delivering such a great chip for a rather reasonable price.
- Turn On or Off Lights
- Doppler Horn
- Shut Down and Start Up Locomotives
- Operate Prototype-like Air Brakes
- Turn on Dynamic Brakes
- Change System Volume while Train is Operating
- Mute Engine Sounds while Train is Operating
- Disconnect power to the Motors
- Put the Engine in Standby
- Quickly Change between STC and RTC Throttle Control
- Load and Heavy Load
- Status Reports
- Quick and Easy Programming
- Operate many Other Features
Features in NMRA Digital Command Control (DCC)
- Regulated Throttle Control included for the first time in Quantum DCC.
- Engine direction can now be changed rapidly allowing more reliable uncoupling operation over
track magnets. Previous Quantum operation would gradually slow locomotive to a stop before
changing direction often missing the uncoupler magnet.
- Added CV’s
- CV 5 V-High.
- CV 51 Mute Volume allowing the sounds to reduce but not go completely off when Mute is activated.
- CV 55.110.5 Ditch Light Strobe Hold Time.
- CV 56.0 Packet Time Out Shutdown.
- CV 56.12 Chuff Interval Scale Factor allows adjustment of chuff rate.
- CV 62 On/off control of verbal announcements.
- New CV’s added to program motor PID parameters.
- New Sounds
- New GE pump
- New E8 dual horn
- New Sound Sets in Steam in Diesel
"All in all I was very impressed with the upgrades, especially the cylinder cocks on startup. Three of the upgrades were for a friend that I convinced to buy the upgrades. After the first 30 seconds of running his upgraded locos he said it was already worth his money. Thanks for all the hard work all of you at QSI have done it really shows."
- John S.
Upgrade Software Item Numbers and Sound Files
See the tables here.
Upgrade Installation Instructions
Find your loco here.
Upgrade Feature Set in Detail
Complete document is available.
How to Order the Upgrade Chip
- Determine exactly what QSI equipped loco you have.
If you have the box or instructions then the catalogue # and features appear
on the box.
Caution: There are some subtle differences for the same loco with different road names that will require different upgrades, for example E7 with or w/o Mars Lite.
- Review the following lists to find your loco. Jot down the loco nomenclature and the upgrade software ID. Double check your selection. If you have any doubt or have questions, please contact any of the QSI Solutions dealers or contact us.
- To order please contact any of the QSI Solutions dealers and be
sure to give them your loco nomenclature and the software
E3/6 with Mars Light (potentiometer) - ho115f17
E3/6 without Mars Light (potentiometer) - ho116f17
E3/6 with Mars Light (reed switch) - ho121f09
E3/6 without Mars Light (reed switch) - ho122f09
- The price includes the Upgrade Chip and detailed color loco-specific installation instructions. It does not include installation labor. If you prefer not to do the installation then contact your dealer for a quote.
- We expect to begin shipping some initial item numbers in late March, and the complete roster several months after.